This glossary provides definitions of common terms used in the context of air pollution.
You can navigate quickly to a term using the alphabetic links below; clicking on the terms will show their definition.
- Acid Deposition
- Acid Rain
- Air Pollution Bandings
- Air Pollution Bulletins
- Air Pollution Index
- Air Pollution Information Service
- Air Quality Management Area (AQMA)
- Air Quality Objectives
- Air Quality Standards
- Air Quality Strategy
- Ambient Air
- Annual Mean
- Automatic Monitoring
- EMEP (Co-operative Programme for Monitoring and Evaluation of the Long-Range Transmission ofAir pollutants in Europe)
- Emission Factor
- Emission Inventories
- EU Directives
- Zones and AgglomerationsThe UK has been divided into zones and agglomerations for the purposes of air pollution monitoring, in accordance with EC Directive 96/62/EC. There are 16 zones. They match:
- The boundaries of England's Government Offices for the Regions; and
- The boundaries agreed by the Scottish Executive, National Assembly for Wales, and Department of the Environment in Northern Ireland.