Air Quality Plans for the achievement of EU air quality limit values for nitrogen dioxide (NO2) in the UK
The 2015 consultation on 'Draft plans to improve air quality in the UK – Tackling nitrogen dioxide in our towns and cities' has now closed. Final plans will be published in due course.
Meeting EU air quality limits for NO2 close to roadsides in London and other major cities is very challenging. We have updated (July 2014) our projections for compliance with EU NO2 limit values. These projections are available to download (PDF 996KB).
UK Air Quality plans for achieving EU air quality limit values for NO2 in the UK - 2011
In September 2011, Defra and the devolved administrations published updated air quality plans for the achievement of the NO2 limits in the UK as soon as possible. The plans package is made up of:
- A UK overview document (PDF 980KB) summarising the relevant air quality policy background and past, present and planned national measures to help tackle NO2 pollution. Updated projections (July 2014) for NO2 compliance are available (PDF 996KB).
- A list of UK and National measures (PDF 800KB) that have helped to reduce or are expected to reduce concentrations of NO2.
- Air quality plans for 40 air quality zones in the UK (see map below for plans).
- A technical report (PDF 2.2MB) on the modeling and assessment methods used to assess the effectiveness of measures in reducing NO2 concentrations in each zone.
- Download all September 2011 zone specific air quality plan documents available on this website as a zip file (ZIP 50Mb)
The air quality plans for each zone, along with the documents above, have been submitted to the European Commission for their assessment. The submission also included forms that summarise the essential information for each zone plan.
In June 2012, the European Commission published its assessment of 24 of the 40 Air Quality Plans in a Decision (PDF - opens in a new window). In response to the conclusions in this Decision, the UK has submitted to the Commission new evidence with respect to projected compliance in the Northern Ireland zone and Re-Notifications for the Birkenhead, Preston and Swansea zones. These new documents can be found by linking to the Plans page for the respective zone and are available for download as a zip file below:
The map below contains links to the 40 Air Quality Zone Plans (for 27 urban agglomerations and 13 non-agglomeration zones), 40 Forms and relevant local authority Action Plans. Plans and forms have not been produced for the three UK air quality zones already compliant with the NO2 limit values. These zones are Blackpool Urban Area, Highland and Scottish Borders.
To quickly navigate through the reports, you can select a UK region from the dropdown boxes below or click on the map - reports for that zone will then be shown grouped by Local Authority.
Please note that some reports may appear in more than one local authority if applicable to both.
By Non-Agglomeration Zone
By Agglomeration Zone
By Local Authority Name
Start typing a local authority name and choose from the results that appear.